News Impact Academy
The News Impact Academy connects, supports and develops digital innovators in European newsrooms and media ventures.
What is the News Impact Academy?
Organised by the European Journalism Centre, and powered by the Google News Initiative, this series of workshops offers participants the opportunity to unleash their creativity and learn new ways to face some of the most pressing challenges in the journalism industry. The goal is to nurture leadership skills in digital innovators by connecting them with other innovators and giving them the tools to scale their ideas, wherever they work.
The Academy started in 2017 with editions in Rome, Hamburg, Budapest, Manchester and Brussels. This year, we visit five new European cities to explore innovation opportunities in areas like product development, community engagement and newsroom leadership.
How does it work?
The Academy unfolds during two days and each edition brings together 20 selected participants from different European newsrooms and a variety of backgrounds and skill-sets.
The programme offers:
- Hands-on sessions to learn how to apply user-centered methodologies in the newsroom
- Roundtables to define newsroom challenges and explore potential solutions
- Ask Me Anything sessions and ignite talks with top innovation leaders
- Networking events to connect with fellow digital innovators
Key benefits for participants:
Why you should attend the News Impact Academy:
- Meet and learn from leading global innovators
- Discover and master design methodologies that solve everyday challenges
- Develop leadership skills to help you get things done in your team
- Explore and unwind your topic of expertise with a diverse group of professionals
- Learn how other industries approach innovation
- Become a member of the News Impact Slack community
Key benefits for organisations:
Individuals who attend the News Impact Academy will develop skills to accelerate innovation in any newsroom. How it benefits your organisation:
- Professional development motivates and retains staff
- Develops connections and business opportunities
- Builds capacity in your organisation to test new ideas quickly
- Brings new critical perspectives for product development
- Creates innovation evangelists without needing to restructure
- “Levels-up” promising leaders without costing the earth
Want to take part in the News Impact Academy?
The Academy is aimed at digital editors, designers, product owners and developers, social media managers, and other media entrepreneurs. We welcome applications from all creative minds in the media field who want to contribute to build a sustainable and innovative future for journalism.
In 2018 we organise five editions, each of them focused on how to tackle innovation around one specific topic. Applications are now open for the first three Academies:
- Amsterdam, 17-18 May - Design processes for news [Applications closed]
- Paris, 27-28 June - Hyperlocal news & engagement strategies [Accepting applications]
- Barcelona, 25-26 September - Newsroom leadership [Accepting applications]
- London, 17-18 October - The topic will be announced later in the year and applications will open in summer.
- Warsaw, 5-6 November - The topic will be announced later in the year and applications will open in summer.
Travel and Costs:
Selected participants will be able to attend the Academy free-of-charge and the organisers will arrange and cover travel and accommodation (if needed) to join the Academy.
Due to the limited number of available spots, applicants are asked to fill in an application form in order to be considered for the Academy. The organisers will select participants on the basis of the application form and the session focus of each Academy edition.
Applications for the News Impact Academies in Amsterdam, Paris and Barcelona are open and the deadline is three weeks before each edition.
If you have any further questions email us at email@example.com
It was a rare opportunity to brainstorm and experiment with new working practices with an eclectic and talented group of people.Sophie Nicholson, AFP
The media industry will only thrive by sharing insight and best practice at workshops like this one. The academy created a space for honest and frank discussion about the challenges we face and gave me a fresh set of ideas and tools for how to deal with them. A very worthwhile day.Ben Whitelaw, The Times & The Sunday Times
The News Impact Academy was a fun and energetic day, full of sharing experiences, learning from each other and finding solutions to some of the big problems facing our profession.Gayatri Parameswaran, NowHere Media
Besides making yourself familiar with the design thinking process, the Academy is a really enlightening way to find out how similarly or differently fellow European media makers think as you’re working together in smaller groups. Don’t miss this.Zsombor Pál, Kreatív
The News Impact Academy certainly made the earth move for me! It challenged previously-held conceptions I didn't even know I had (!) and got me to approach issues affecting our industry in a revolutionary way.John Crowley, Digital Journalist & Editor