News Impact Academy
News Impact Academy
The News Impact Academy connects, supports and develops digital innovators in European newsrooms and start-ups.
What is the News Impact Academy?
Organised by the European Journalism Centre, and powered by the Google News Lab, this series of one-day workshops offers participants the opportunity to learn techniques for defining new revenue models, building digital products and creating sustainable business initiatives. The goal is to nurture leadership skills in digital innovators by connecting them with other innovators and giving them the tools to scale their ideas, wherever they work.
This new initiative will run alongside the 2017 News Impact Summit series, furthering collaboration, the sharing of ideas and professional development. Each Academy meeting will bring together approximately 20 selected participants from different newsrooms and backgrounds. In this 2017 News Impact series we will visit five European cities, namely Rome, Hamburg, Budapest, Manchester and Brussels.
Key benefits for participants:
Why you should attend the News Impact Academy:
- Meet and learn from leading global innovators
- Learn how other industries approach innovation
- Discover and master design methodologies that solve everyday challenges
- Develop leadership skills to help you get things done in your team
- Get free resources to bring back to the newsroom
- Receive snapshots and tips from each Academy meeting throughout the year
Key benefits for organisations:
Individuals who attend the News Impact Academy will develop skills that accelerate innovation in any newsroom. How it benefits your organisation:
- Professional development motivates and retains staff
- Builds capacity in your organisation to test new ideas quickly
- Brings new critical perspectives for product development
- Creates innovation evangelists without needing to restructure
- “Levels-up” promising leaders without costing the earth
- Develops connections and business opportunities
How does it work?
There will be five Academy editions in 2017 that will take place on the day after each News Impact Summit. The Academy is a one-day meeting for approximately 20 selected digital innovators from European newsrooms and start-ups. The programme offers:
- Hands-on workshop on how to apply design methodologies in the newsroom
- Sessions to define newsroom challenges and ideate solutions
- AMAs and ignite talks with top innovation leaders
- Networking dinner to connect with fellow digital innovators
Want to take part in the News Impact Academy?
The News Impact Academy will be back next year with a new series, stay tuned for all the updates.
Due to the limited number of spots, the applicant is asked to fill in an application form in order to be considered for the Academy meeting. The organisers will select the participants on the basis of the application form, and the session focus of the Academy meeting according to the location.
It was a rare opportunity to brainstorm and experiment with new working practices with an eclectic and talented group of people.Sophie Nicholson
The media industry will only thrive by sharing insight and best practice at workshops like this one. The academy created a space for honest and frank discussion about the challenges we face and gave me a fresh set of ideas and tools for how to deal with them. A very worthwhile day.Ben Whitelaw
The News Impact Academy was a fun and energetic day, full of sharing experiences, learning from each other and finding solutions to some of the big problems facing our profession.Gayatri Parameswaran
Besides making yourself familiar with the design thinking process, the Academy is a really enlightening way to find out how similarly or differently fellow European media makers think as you’re working together in smaller groups. Don’t miss this.Zsombor Pál
The News Impact Academy certainly made the earth move for me! It challenged previously-held conceptions I didn't even know I had (!) and got me to approach issues affecting our industry in a revolutionary way.John Crowley