News Impact Academy
The News Impact Academy connects, supports and develops digital innovators in European newsrooms and media ventures.
What is the News Impact Academy?
Organised by the European Journalism Centre, and powered by the Google News Initiative, this series of workshops offers participants the opportunity to unleash their creativity and learn new ways to face some of the most pressing challenges in the journalism industry. The goal is to nurture leadership skills in digital innovators by connecting them with other innovators and giving them the tools to scale their ideas, wherever they work.
The Academy started in 2017 with editions in Rome, Hamburg, Budapest, Manchester and Brussels. This year, we visit five new European cities to explore innovation opportunities in areas like product development, community engagement and newsroom leadership.
How does it work?
The Academy unfolds during two days and each edition brings together 20 selected participants from different European newsrooms and a variety of backgrounds and skill-sets.
The programme offers:
- Hands-on sessions to learn how to apply user-centered methodologies in the newsroom
- Roundtables to define newsroom challenges and explore potential solutions
- Ask Me Anything sessions and ignite talks with top innovation leaders
- Networking events to connect with fellow digital innovators
Who is the News Impact Academy aimed at?
The Academy connects, supports and develops digital innovators in European newsrooms and media ventures.
All journalists and media professionals working in Europe* are eligible to apply. The selection criteria are based on the relevance of the answers to the application form, as well as on diversity considerations across geography, background, organisations and skill-sets of the applicants.
*In this context, the definition of "European" includes the 47 Council of Europe Member States
Key benefits for participants:
Why you should attend the News Impact Academy:
- Meet and learn from leading global innovators
- Discover and master design methodologies that solve everyday challenges
- Develop leadership skills to help you get things done in your team
- Explore and unwind your topic of expertise with a diverse group of professionals
- Learn how other industries approach innovation
- Become a member of the News Impact Slack community
Key benefits for organisations:
Individuals who attend the News Impact Academy will develop skills to accelerate innovation in any newsroom. How it benefits your organisation:
- Professional development motivates and retains staff
- Develops connections and business opportunities
- Builds capacity in your organisation to test new ideas quickly
- Brings new critical perspectives for product development
- Creates innovation evangelists without needing to restructure
- “Levels-up” promising leaders without costing the earth
Want to take part in the News Impact Academy?
The Academy is aimed at digital editors, designers, product owners and developers, social media managers, and other media entrepreneurs. We welcome applications from all creative minds in the media field who want to contribute to build a sustainable and innovative future for journalism.
In 2018 we organise five editions, each of them focused on how to tackle innovation around one specific topic:
- Amsterdam, 17-18 May - Design processes for news [Applications closed]
- Paris, 27-28 June - Hyperlocal news & engagement strategies [Applications closed]
- Barcelona, 25-26 September - Newsroom leadership [Accepting applications]
- London, 17-18 October - Product development for news [Accepting applications]
- Warsaw, 5-6 November - Membership-based revenue models [Accepting applications]
Travel and Costs:
Selected participants will be able to attend the Academy free-of-charge and the organisers will arrange and cover travel and accommodation (if needed) to join the Academy.
All journalists and media professionals working in Europe are eligible to apply. Due to the limited number of available spots, applicants are asked to fill in an application form in order to be considered for the Academy. The organisers will select participants on the basis of the application form and the session focus of each Academy edition.
If you have any further questions email us at email@example.com
It was really inspiring and helpful to get the chance to meet 20 different media-people from all over Europe, having similar challenges in their organisations and a ton of great ideas to tackle them.What a valuable project!Charlotte Meyer-Hamme, Spiegel Online
The greatest benefit of the News Impact Academy is that it connects people who have parallel thinking. Parallel, not the same. That means, we are not alike, we don't think the same way, we may not even have exactly the same goals. But we still have a lot in common. And because we now know each other, we can move in the same direction.Filip Struhárik, Denník N
It was a rare opportunity to brainstorm and experiment with new working practices with an eclectic and talented group of people.Sophie Nicholson, AFP
The News Impact Academy certainly made the earth move for me! It challenged previously-held conceptions I didn't even know I had (!) and got me to approach issues affecting our industry in a revolutionary way.John Crowley, Digital Journalist & Editor
Besides making yourself familiar with the design thinking process, the Academy is a really enlightening way to find out how similarly or differently fellow European media makers think as you’re working together in smaller groups. Don’t miss this.Zsombor Pál, Kreatív