News Impact Academy
The News Impact Academy offers professional training for the European news industry.
What is the News Impact Academy?
Our academy provides media professionals with an opportunity to become innovation leaders within their news organisations. We develop leadership skills and provide the tools needed to scale ideas during our two-day trainings in different European cities. We encourage collaboration within the community to overcome the challenges that the news industry is currently facing.
The News Impact Academy is organised by the European Journalism Centre and powered by the Google News Initiative.
In 2019, we offer three editions:
#1 Diversify your Revenue Streams - 9, 10 July in Lisbon, Portugal
#2 Newsroom Leadership - 26, 27 September in Copenhagen, Denmark
#3 What Analytics Matter in 2019? - 21, 22 October in Bucharest, Romania
Our analytics-edition is planned to coincide with The Power of Storytelling event in Bucharest, which may be of interest to audience development/engagement professionals.
What does the programme offer?
- Hands-on sessions to learn how to apply user-centered methodologies in the newsroom
- Roundtables to define newsroom challenges and explore potential solutions
- Ask Me Anything sessions and ignite talks with top innovation leaders
- Networking events to connect with fellow digital innovators
- Strategy development to return to your newsroom with a concrete plan
Is the News Impact Academy for you?
The academy is for media professionals who are looking for training and guidance to face the current challenges of the news industry. We welcome all creative minds who want to contribute to building a resilient and innovative future for journalism. Our community consists of editors-in-chief, audience development managers, business developers, journalists, marketing assistants, product owners, digital editors, founders, and so on. All media professionals working in news organisations in Europe* are eligible to apply.
Key benefits for media professionals:
Here are several reasons to apply for a place on our programme:
- Meet and learn from leading global innovators who have redesigned newsrooms and merged journalism with tech
- Discover and master design methodologies that solve everyday challenges
- Develop leadership skills to help you get things done in your newsroom
- Explore your topic of expertise with peers from different countries
- Learn how other industries approach innovation
Key benefits for news organisations:
Our participants acquire skills and develop strategic plans to drive innovation in their news organisations:
- Build capacity in your organisation to test new ideas quickly
- Bring in new critical perspectives for product development
- Make connections and develop business opportunities
- Benefit from free** professional development training for your staff
- Create innovation evangelists without needing to restructure
- Increase staff motivation and retention through career development
- “Level-up” promising and aspiring leaders
How to apply?
Please use our application form to sign up.
We carefully select 20 participants from different types of news organisations from across Europe. The selection procedure takes into account the candidate's training aspirations against the main topic of the Academy, as well as other criteria like geography, background, organisation, and the skill-set of the applicant. All media professionals working in news organisations in Europe* are eligible to apply.
*In this context, the definition of "European" includes the 47 Council of Europe Member States
**There is no charge to attend the academy. We have several allowances to cover travel and accommodation for news organisations that don’t have a professional development budget.
It was really inspiring and helpful to get the chance to meet 20 different media-people from all over Europe, having similar challenges in their organisations and a ton of great ideas to tackle them.What a valuable project!Charlotte Meyer-Hamme, Spiegel Online
The greatest benefit of the News Impact Academy is that it connects people who have parallel thinking. Parallel, not the same. That means, we are not alike, we don't think the same way, we may not even have exactly the same goals. But we still have a lot in common. And because we now know each other, we can move in the same direction.Filip Struhárik, Denník N
It was a rare opportunity to brainstorm and experiment with new working practices with an eclectic and talented group of people.Sophie Nicholson, AFP
The News Impact Academy certainly made the earth move for me! It challenged previously-held conceptions I didn't even know I had (!) and got me to approach issues affecting our industry in a revolutionary way.John Crowley, Digital Journalist & Consultant
Besides making yourself familiar with the design thinking process, the Academy is a really enlightening way to find out how similarly or differently fellow European media makers think as you’re working together in smaller groups. Don’t miss this.Zsombor Pál, Kreatív
I really enjoyed the academy and I've taken on board the lessons from Marie [Gilot] from CUNY. We've been doing a lot of big data things and we've supplemented that with ethnographic interviews.Ingeborg Volan, Dagens Næringsliv