News Impact Network
A support scheme for future media leaders & catalyst for innovative ideas
What is the News Impact Network?
No sufficient programme exists in Europe to connect media entrepreneurs and newsroom innovation leaders in a structured way. The News Impact Network fills this gap: a programme built on the learnings of three years of News Impact experience and tailored to the talented innovators and creative minds we have met on our journey.
The Network combines diverse digital innovators in teams that act as peer-to-peer support groups centred around specific topics and shared challenges. The programme provides meaningful connections, leadership skills, inspiring ideas from outside the journalism industry and other tools to navigate the changing media landscape.
All teams are part of a year-long programme focusing on the latest trends in journalism around personnel, monetisation, product and impact measurement. With the goal of solving common challenges and developing individual projects, members advance their professional development as well as produce reflections and new findings to be shared with the wider News Impact community.
How does it work?
- The programme kicks off in April, during the International Journalism Festival in Perugia, Italy, with one day of networking and activities to lay down the structure of the year.
- Each team develops the work independently throughout the year, with guidance from the programme facilitators and regular check-ins.
- Mentorship opportunities are provided to each team by connecting them with experts in their field of study, thanks to the extensive networks of the EJC and the Google News Initiative.
- A study-tour in July exposes the members to creative ideas and insights from other industries’ expertise in dealing with innovation and disruption.
- At the end of the year, members meet on the occasion of the last News Impact Summit of the 2018 series to wrap up their activities and share findings and takeaways with the rest of the News Impact community.
What are the key benefits?
The Network facilitates and strengthens connections between like-minded news innovators sharing similar challenges and creates a dedicated international community. Members benefit from:
- Continuous support and advice from a network of diverse but like-minded individuals;
- Possibility to share daily challenges and best practices to test and scale new ideas;
- Take part in a tailored study-tour to learn how other industries address innovation;
- Level up their expertise and develop solutions on the selected challenge;
- Exchange learnings during the 3 in-person meetings with the entire Network cohort;
- Mentoring opportunities with experts on the chosen topic.